How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare New Orchard Lodge, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Pet Therapy: Once a month, the local Humane Society brings in cats and dogs from the shelter to spend time with our residents.
- Serene Setting: Our home is situated at the end of a quiet street in a residential neighbourhood. Our residents love the peace and tranquility of our secure backyard garden with the beautiful trees and waterfall which backs on to NCC property and the Ottawa River.
- Weekly BBQ: Every Friday when the weather is good we hold a barbecue for residents in our back garden. Our residents enjoy being able to have a meal outside.
- Snoezelen Cart: Our Snoezelen cart is a mobile sensory stimulation tool full of lights, smells, tactile surfaces and sounds for residents with dementia. Sessions are 15 to 20 minutes long. Sights, smells and sounds are geared to the resident’s personal history and it is very effective in calming agitated residents and creating positive responses.
- Live Entertainment: There is live entertainment once a week that can range from groups to solo acts to historical fashion shows to animal demonstrations.
- Exercise Class: We hold exercise programs twice a week for building flexibility, strength and chair balance.
- Wine & Cheese Our residents enjoy Wine & Cheese weekly. They have the opportunity to relax and interact over a maximum of 2 drinks often while listening to live music.
- Dining In Dining In The Dining In program is popular as residents feast on their favourite take out food.
- Breakfast Club: Our Breakfast Club is held every Tuesday morning and is a resident favourite as they get to have their breakfast made to order.
- Monthly Birthday Party: The Monthly Birthday Party is a celebration of all residents’ birthdays during the month.
- Campfires: In the summer months we hold campfires in our back garden. The residents have a snack and listen to some live entertainment while enjoying the warmth of the fire.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist